Saturday, February 14, 2009

Car Security at Big Island Dive Sites

Below is a question submitted by one of our users:

Comments: I am planning on diving on the Big Island this March and really appreciate the reviews on the shore diving sites. I was wondering if vehicles are frequently broken into while they are parked at the dive sites? For example at Puako Village End.
Thanks
Bill
-------------------
Bill,

When parking your car at any dive site on the Big Island (or at any hiking trail head too), make sure you sanitize your car -- that is ensure nothing of any value is visible. Minimize the temptation of thieves to want to break into your car. That means don't leave anything on the dashboard, console, seats, etc. to include sunglasses, cell phones, DVD players, any bags/purses/luggage, shoes or gear, etc. Basically clean out your car as if you were returning it to the car rental place...

With that said, I often dive from austere dive sites on the Big Island as well as park my car in strange (unsecure) places when I go hiking. My car was fine when I dived at Puako. Most of the guide books will talk about crime and securing your vehicle - keep your car sanitized and you should be fine... Enjoy your trip!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home